Thanksgiving Fire Prevention Tips
As it comes together to celebrate Thanksgiving by preparing a delicious feast. Practice safe cooking habits will help prevent any fire emergencies. Here are some tips that you should keep in mind while cooking your family feast.
- You should never leave cooking food unattended. Make sure to stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling, or boiling food. If you need to leave the kitchen even for a short period of time, then the stove should be turned off.
- Make sure to check on food regularly while cooking. Someone should remain in the home while kitchen equipment is in use. Its best to use a timer as a reminder that the stove and oven is on.
- Small children should be kept away from the cooking area. Kids should stay at least three feet away from the stove an oven.
- Flammable items such as potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper r plastic bags, food packaging and towels should be kept away from the stove, oven or any other appliances in the kitchen that generates heat.
- While cooking do not wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves that can catch fire.
- Cooking surfaces should be cleaned regularly to prevent any grease build-up.
- Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen year-round just as precaution.
- Before going to bed or leaving the house make sure to check all kitchen appliance are turned off.
SERVPRO of Thousand Oaks wishes you and your family a safe and happy Thanksgiving and holiday season.