With all the power outages lately SERVPRO Thousand Oaks wanted to give some tips for an unexpected outage.
- Have the freezer and refrigerator closed during the power outage. The refrigerator can keep items cool for 4 hours while a packed fridge can last up to 48 hours. If needed look into place food into coolers with ice. Once the food has reached the temperature of 40 degree its recommended to dispose of. Also, if the food has an odor it is also recommended to dispose of it.
- If you are going to use a generator, make sure it is only outdoors and away from windows.
- Never use a gas oven or stovetop to heat your house.
- Make sure to disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- If you have refrigerated medicine, make to have a backup plan. Look into how long the medicine can be stored at higher temperatures. It is recommended to dispose of medication that should be refrigerated unless the drug’s label says otherwise. Please contact your doctor if have any question regarding medication storage and or replacement.
If you need more tips and or recommended supply list please visit (www.ready.gov) website.